St. Prokop Church

St. Prokop Church presents an important cultural heritage listed as an immovable cultural monument of the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic.

More info

Otevírací doba


NE 8.00-13.00 h

Contacts


Římskokatolická farnost sv. Vojtěcha
nám. J. A. Alise 284
261 01 Příbram VI – Březové Hory

robert.cieszkowski@seznam.cz
+420 318 622 203
+420 722 430 984
www.farnostbrezovehory.eu

Informace

Nejbližší MHD zastávka


Břez. Hory, nám. J. A. Alise

Restaurace v okolí

St. Prokop Church

Initially, there was a wooden belfry, most likely from the 16th century, in Březové Hory. A part of the oldest development including miners’ houses and some of the shafts was built around the belfry. The original bell from 1580 has been preserved and is exhibited in the Příbram Mining Museum in Březové Hory. In 1724, the foundation stone for the construction of a stone chapel was laid here. The chapel was partially constructed and dedicated to the patron saint of miners – St. Procopius in 1733. However, the condition of the chapel was not satisfactory, and the building continued to deteriorate over the years. This led to the reconstruction in 1879. A large part of the original chapel was demolished, and the current St. Procopius Church was built. The reconstruction was in the Romanesque Revival style. The church has a rectangular floorplan with one nave and a square tower on the west side. The new, larger nave with two entrances was added to the original presbytery. A small ridge turret was built above the presbytery and a vestry was added to the west side. The main altar dedicated to St. Procopius with a painting of the saint is in the classicist style from the beginning of the 19th century. The side altar dedicated to St. Barbara is in the Rococo style. St. Procopius Church was in its prime during 1879-1889, as it was the only church in the fast-growing municipality of Březové Hory. It was the destination of the famous miners’ parades. However, the church began to deteriorate at the beginning of the 20th century and ceased to fulfil its original function entirely after the events of 1948. Repairs were only carried out after 1989. These days, the church is the centre of the social and religious life at least for several days each year owing to the renewed St. Procopius fair. The Orthodox Church uses the church for its ceremonies. Two large crosses can be found in the nearby old birch forest Koráb – a stone cross from 1831 and a cast iron cross from 1859.