Eastern part of T. G. Masaryk Square is decorated by one of the most opulent buildings in the city. It’s two-floor administrative building decorated with cast-iron railings on a balcony over entrance portal constructed in 1846-1847. It was built by Mr Stiebor in Empire Style for the purpose of Mining Directorate (offices, representative meeting rooms, technical and social facilities etc.) One can read the year of construction on chronogram in Roman numbers MDCCCXXXXVI – 1846.
The building witnessed many important events - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este, stayed in Příbram in 1889 during military manoeuvres, city representatives officially announced the First Czechoslovak Republic in 1918 and 1945 Allied troops participating in the liberating of our country were welcomed from the balcony.
On 7th March 1946 Ministry of Industry issued foundation document for Ore mines in Příbram, national company (former State silver and lead mines in Příbram) valid from 1st January 1946. From 14th August 1947, it was renamed to Ore and graphite mines, the national company of Příbram. The company managed all Czech and Moravian non-ferrous metal ores deposits including graphite deposits from 1947. In 1949 the deposits were divided into more small companies. Central Bohemian Ore Mines managing deposits in Březová Hora district stayed in Příbram. For some time other ore deposits in Příbram Region and partly in other parts of Bohemia were operated by Central Bohemian Ore Mines. From 1st April 1958 Ore Mine, the national company was established by bringing together all smaller companies.
Příbram obtained the cultural heritage in 2006. Municipal police reside in the ground floor.
Resource: PaedDr. Josef Velfl: Kulturní památky Příbrami
Information Center of Municipality in Příbram
Zámeček - Ernestinum, Tyršova 106, Příbram
telefon: (+420) 318 402 381
toll-free: 800 555 600
Information center open daily:
June - September 10 am – 5 pm
October - May 10 am – 4 pm
(except 24. - 26.12. and 1.1.)